Updated: July 2016
A. Personal Information Collected
As a general principle, AcclaimIP limits the information collected about you to only what is needed for conducting our business, including the offering of products and services by us or by third parties that might be of interest to you. You may choose to provide “personally identifiable information” (PII) to AcclaimIP in a number of ways: in person, telephonically, by email or electronically via our websites. Examples of how you may share PII with us include: requesting a brochure or product information, issuing an RFP, ordering software or services from us, responding to AcclaimIP surveys, attending AcclaimIP sponsored events or conferences, or applying for a job. We may also obtain PII from third parties (for example, credit agencies or background checks), but only if we have first obtained your permission.
General Examples of PII are:
- Name (including company name for business customers
- E-mail address
- Credit card number, financial/bank account number or wire transfer information, including routing numbers and instructions
- Passwords or personal identification codes (PINs)
- Date of birth
- Social Security number or other government identification number
- Employee number
- Professional employment information
- Company contact information for business customers
AcclaimIP’s software products and services involve the searching and analyzing of patent data. When our Customers subscribe to our products and services, they may collect additional PII such as:
The following information is NOT PII:
- Mailing address, unless unlisted or restricted at your request
- Telephone number ,unless unlisted or restricted at your request -,
- IP Address allowing you to access our internet services
- PII included in aggregate data compiled by AcclaimIP
AcclaimIP may compile or aggregate PII from numerous customers or Web visitors to collect data about groups of customers or potential customers or categories of service. AcclaimIP does not consider this “aggregate” information as PII because the aggregated information does not contain the PII of any individual customer or web visitor.
B. AcclaimIP’s use of Personally Identifiable Information–General
AcclaimIP uses PII to provide products and services to meet our customers’ needs, including new products or services. AcclaimIP may share PII with any AcclaimIP-affiliated company, and these companies are subject to the terms of this Policy.
AcclaimIP uses employee PII to communicate with and manage our employees.
AcclaimIP retains PII only as long as is necessary for AcclaimIP to comply with business, tax and legal requirements. For customers and employees, this retention period is likely to be the entire time you are our customer or employee, depending on the type of PII.
AcclaimIP does not:
- Collect PII from you unless you provide it to us in person, telephonically or electronically by visiting our websites, including information you provide in order to use our services.
- Sell the names and addresses of AcclaimIP Web visitors to unaffiliated suppliers without your prior approval.
- Allow third parties to change your PII, without complying with our security policies.
C. Customers’ use of Personally Identifiable Information–Software
AcclaimIP’s Customers may use our Software products and/or Service to collect PII from their employees, affiliates, law firms and agents. The collection, access, administration and storage of this PII is under the control of our Customers, with no involvement or access by AcclaimIP personnel. The only occasional exception to this statement is if a Client provides AcclaimIP personnel emergency access to their AcclaimIP software, usually for the purposes of diagnosing and fixing a software program error.
D. Customers’ use of Personally Identifiable Information–Hosting Services
AcclaimIP Customers contract with AcclaimIP to provide hosting services for their AcclaimIP software. When we do so, we always utilize a data center that is SSAE 16 compliant, and whose practices and infrastructure comply with the US-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Our current hosting data center provider, TierPoint, LLC, has been certified under the Safe Harbor program. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, please visit
http://export.gov/safeharbor; (to view TierPoint’s certifications see: https://safeharbor.export.gov/list.aspx).
When AcclaimIP provides hosting services to our Customers, AcclaimIP never collects personal information for or on behalf of our Customers. Our Customers have exclusive responsibility for collecting and storing PII in the AcclaimIP software that we host for them. AcclaimIP technical support employees may have occasional access to the Licensee-collected personal information. This access in incidental to the AcclaimIP employees’ performance of their IT-related duties for the technical maintenance and backup of the hosting environment. Backups of Licensee’s data are always encrypted.
E. Consulting Services
F. Enhancement of the Customer Experience
Because we appreciate the trust you have placed in us, we continually look for ways to enhance your customer experience, both on our web site and with our software products and services. From time-to-time, we may notify you about an AcclaimIP product or service using the information you have provided to us either in person, telephonically or electronically by visiting our websites, including information you provide to use our services. We strive to limit our offers to those we think you would benefit from and appreciate receiving. We want every contact you have with us to be a positive experience. If you prefer not to receive these AcclaimIP value-added services, offers and opportunities, just contact us at email@example.com.
AcclaimIP complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding “Do Not Call” Lists. Generally, AcclaimIP is allowed to contact its customers, even if the customers are registered with federal or state Do Not Call Lists, because of our relationship with you. AcclaimIP will, of course, honor any request to remove your name from our telephone, mail or e-mail solicitation lists and will delete your information from existing files within a reasonable time period. Just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
G. Information Disclosed to Third Parties
AcclaimIP does not sell PII of its customers to third parties. In limited circumstances, AcclaimIP may provide PII to third parties:
- To assist us in developing, promoting, establishing, maintaining and/or providing AcclaimIP-related products and services to you, including joint marketing efforts or promotions, but PII may not be used by the third parties for any other purpose;
- To assist us in establishing accounts, billing, collecting payment, enforcing the Terms and Conditions or the Acceptable Use Policy of our AcclaimIP services where permitted by law, and protecting or enforcing our rights or property or the services of our other customers from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use by you of our services;
- To comply, when required by law, with court or administrative orders, civil or criminal subpoenas, warrants from law enforcement agencies, federal or state regulatory requirements, mandatory governmental audits, E911 reporting requirements, grand jury investigations, civil or criminal governmental investigations or reporting required by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, designated by federal law as a reporting mechanism for child pornography; and
- To appropriate law enforcement, 911 centers or emergency services when AcclaimIP, in good faith, believes the disclosure is necessary to protect a person, AcclaimIP property or the public from an immediate threat of serious harm.
H. On-Line Information
I. Security Measures
AcclaimIP uses security techniques designed to protect your information from unauthorized access, including firewalls and access control procedures. We have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control, or information that is processed by our software and under the control of our Customers. For example, when you use AcclaimIP software over the Internet, the information exchange between you and the AcclaimIP software is encrypted using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
All AcclaimIP employees are bound by non-disclosure agreements designed to prevent them from disclosing any PII. Further, AcclaimIP’s employee guidelines state that AcclaimIP employees must abide by all state and federal laws and regulations in the performance of their job duties.
Our policies also limit access to PII to only those employees, contractors, agents or representatives that require the information to perform their jobs or assist AcclaimIP with providing products and services to you.
K. Policy Updates
L. Security Breaches
While our goal is to prevent any unauthorized disclosure of PII, AcclaimIP cannot guarantee that an unauthorized disclosure will not occur. We will make reasonable efforts to contact you if we determine that security breach has occurred, and that there is a reasonable risk of identity theft or as otherwise required by law.
M. Contact Us
If you have questions, concerns, or complaints about this Policy or AcclaimIP’s privacy practices, please contact a AcclaimIP customer care representative; email us at email@example.com or write to us at AcclaimIP, Inc., ATTN: Privacy Officer, 31 St James Ave, Suite 1100, Boston, MA02116 USA. We will respond to your inquiries in a timely manner.
N. Safe Harbor Principles
AcclaimIP complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. AcclaimIP parent company has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view AcclaimIP’s parent company certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/.
O. Credit Card Fraud Policy
AcclaimIP uses Authorize.net to provide credit card fraud checking services on our site when you place an order with a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express card. When you license from AcclaimIP, we share your credit card details only as necessary for the third party to provide the services.
Authorize.net is prohibited from using your personally identifiable information for any other purposes. Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, your bank account cannot hold you liable for more than $50.00 of fraudulent charges. You may place your order through the website.
P. Dispute Resolution
For complaints that cannot be resolved between AcclaimIP and the user, such disputes will be arbitrated by the American Arbitration Association.
AcclaimIP is a trademark of Anaqua, Inc. All other trademarks are recognized as proprietary to their owners.